AFFILIATE DISCLOSURE: I hope you love the products I recommend! Just so you know, I may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page. Thank you very much if you use my links, I really appreciate it.Reading Time: 5 minutes
Venus flytraps are a gorgeous, very interesting, and unique type of house plant. However, there are many rumors that the plant may be poisonous or dangerous for children or pets. I am here to set the story straight.
Venus flytraps are not poisonous. Touching the plant is not harmful to humans or pets, and ingesting the plant won’t cause any significant risks beyond the ingestion. The traps on a Venus flytrap tend to be quite small – usually less than 1.5 inches. They are harmless to humans, cats, and dogs.
In this article, I will take a look at some information out there about Venus flytraps. I will try to provide you with peace of mind about the plant so that you can grow them in your home with no worries whatsoever.
Is a Venus Flytrap Plant Poisonous?
Venus flytraps are carnivorous plants that have a very distinct aggressive look to them. Many people are cautious about introducing a Venus flytrap to their home because of the belief that it may be poisonous.
Although many people believe that Venus flytraps can be poisonous, they are not. They are not poisonous to humans or animals such as pets. They are non-toxic and are safe to consume. The only thing that you would need to worry about if a Venus flytrap is consumed is that the person or animal in question may just get a little bit of an upset stomach. So, do not make a garden salad with your Venus flytrap:)
The plant does not secrete any poisonous materials, so it is very safe to touch. Some people may be put off by its scary ‘teeth-like’ leaves. Although a Venus flytrap plant can close its leaves on your fingers in some cases, it can usually decipher between a small bug and a finger. Regardless of this, it will never lay any poison on you as the plant is non-toxic.
Are Venus Flytraps Dangerous to Humans?
Venus flytraps are not at all dangerous to humans. The ‘teeth’ on the leaves are not sharp, so they won’t be able to break your skin. The traps also don’t close with any strong type of force, and they won’t stay closed on anything that isn’t any insect. So even if you accidentally fid your finger inside the trap, it won’t be stuck in there.
Even if you cut a Venus flytrap open, there’s nothing inside there that’s dangerous to humans. The digestive juices that are found within the leaves may be a slight irritant to some people. However, most of the time, it is completely harmless.
As I have mentioned earlier, even if you eat the Venus flytrap, it is still not a danger to your health. The only thing that ingesting the plant may cause is a bit of an upset stomach. However, most people wouldn’t even notice any difference.
Are Venus Flytraps Poisonous to Cats or Dogs?
Many pet owners may be cautious about getting a Venus flytrap plant as they are worried that the plant may be poisonous or harmful to their pets. However, this couldn’t be further from the truth. A Venus flytrap is not toxic to dogs or cats.
More often than not, your pet is actually more likely to be a danger to your plant rather than it being the other way around. Pets can chew on the plants or could knock them over, which can damage them.
If you are introducing a Venus flytrap plant to a home with pets, it’s a good idea to try to keep it somewhere out of sight or reach of your pet to avoid any possible damage to your plant.
Although Venus flytraps are not at all toxic to dogs or cats, they could cause an upset stomach if the plant is ingested. If your pet does eat some or all of the plant, it’s a good idea to keep an eye on them for a few days to ensure the plant isn’t causing them any pain or discomfort.
Below are some signs to look out for if your pet has eaten a Venus flytrap:
- Swelling around the mouth
- Redness around the mouth
- The rawness of the skin around the face
- Sores within the mouth
If you do happen to notice any of the symptoms above, it’s a good idea to talk to your vet to make sure your pet is okay.
Can a Venus Flytrap Bite?
Venus flytraps do have the capability to ingest human flesh; however, they are unable to bit into human skin and take chunks of flesh off. Although that is the case, a Venus flytrap can bite as it will close its leaves around anything that lands on them, including a human’s touch. However, this closing technique is harmless and won’t cause any harm to you, your children, or your pets.
The only things that are in danger from a Venus flytrap are insects. Why is this, you may ask? It is because the Venus flytrap secretes nectar from its leaves, and insects are attracted to this nectar. Insects will smell this and land on the leaf, which then sends a signal to the plant to close its leaves around the insect, ready for ingesting it.
The ‘mouth’ of the Venus flytrap will close around the insect within less than a second of it landing on it usually. It is thought that the leaves don’t get completely close right away so that smaller insects have a chance to escape. Larger insects will usually begin to struggle when they are closed inside the leaves, and this causes the leaves to tighten further, entirely trapping the insect inside.
Are Venus Flytraps Safe for Your Home?
As I have mentioned, a Venus flytrap is not a poisonous or harmful plant. Despite looking quite scary and aggressive, the plant is actually very safe. It can be placed in any home regardless of whether you have children or pets in the house.
A Venus flytrap can be a great addition to the home as they are known for luring in and ingesting small insects that could be a nuisance to the home. The plant does this by attracting insects with nectar. As soon as a small insect lands on the inside of the ‘mouth’ of the plant, it closes shut, trapping the insect inside. As the insect tries to escape, the plant closes in further and eventually digests the prey.
This process may sound a bit worrying, but you should know that a Venus flytrap is smart and knows when it’s trapped something it can’t digest. With this in mind, even if the Venus flytrap ‘bites’ your finger, it will not digest it nor cause any harm.
If you have small children or pets in your home, it’s a good idea to keep your Venus flytrap out of reach. This is mostly just to protect the plant itself from being accidentally eaten or knocked over and damaged.
A Venus flytrap is an enjoyable plant to have in your home. Its exciting and unique characteristics make it the perfect houseplant for most homes. They are quite easy to care for and can even be a blessing as they will help to eliminate small bugs that invade your home.
As you have now learned, a Venus flytrap plant is not at all harmful or poisonous. These plants are completely safe and can be a great addition to your home, even if you have small children or pets. They are non-toxic and can’t cause any negative effects on your health whatsoever.